Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pho is for Fail

No pictures to accompany this one, just a general tale of desperation and woe.  I tried to make homemade pho.  It seemed so simple!  A jug of beef broth, some rice noodles, and roast beef.  There you go.  My downfall was in the other ingredients, which were a "chile" and fresh ginger, which you cook a little before adding the broth.  My problem is I'm not entirely sure what the hell Asian recipes mean whent ehy call for a "chile," but I know that my grocery store does not have these mysterious chiles in the produce section.  I usually use jalapeno, but I have found this does confer enough spiciness.  So I decided to test out a serrano pepper.

That was mistake.  The pepper's red hot spiciness expanded into the whole dish, making it a steaming tureen of sweaty, cough inducing, devil-broth.

I ate it anyway, but I am afraid of the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment